Improved coordination of internal audits in Romania
for the Ministry of Public Finance
The Commission is supporting national authorities in their efforts to strengthen the national public internal audit system in Romania, by providing support to the national administration in charge of public internal audit.
The competent national authority in charge of implementing policy in the field of public internal audits sought to strengthen the internal audit function to support the prevention of fraud and corruption and to improve the use of available resources at central and local levels.
The support provided by the Commission was delivered by the Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy of Austria, in cooperation with the Austrian Agency for Economic Cooperation and Development over a one-year period.
The support measures consisted of:
- developing a new strategy for public internal audits;
- designing training programmes on public internal audits at central and local levels; and
- providing an induction programme on financial governance for high level officials.
The support from the Commission is delivering the following results:
- a Public Internal Audit Strategy for 2020-2024;
- new professional competences for public internal auditors.
And have the following impact:
- an internal audit culture in the public administration at local level in particular; and
- a strengthened public financial control framework and environment.