Reforming the assessment of disability
The Commission has supported Belgium, Greece, Latvia and Lithuania in improving disability assessment methodologies and procedures to contribute to a more holistic assessment of disability that takes better account of functional capacity and individual circumstances. Areas of technical support include:
- analysing existing benefits and services aimed at providing income and integration support to people with disabilities;
- reviewing organisational and administrative processes;
- reviewing assessment methodologies;
- adapting assessment tools to the national context;
- designing, implementing and evaluating a pilot programme;
- designing and providing training sessions;
- developing recommendations for revised assessment processes.
The supported reforms of the disability assessment system are expected to contribute to fair and transparent procedures, as well as a reduction in administrative burden and waiting times to support the (re-)integration of people with disabilities in society and the labour market.