Supporting the implementation of the Hungarian National Climate Strategy
for the Ministry of Innovation and Technology
Support for setting up a monitoring and evaluation framework for climate and energy policies, as well as improving environmental impact assessment (EIA) methodologies.
Although several elements and goals of the first Hungarian National Climate Change Strategy (NCCS) have been implemented successfully, one of the main shortcomings is the missing monitoring system of the climate policy measures taken.
The Commission, in cooperation with the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA), is providing support over 12 months to:
- Analyse the current situation as regards M&E practices, by establishing contact with the experts of relevant Hungarian institutions and desk research analysis;
- Integrate international best practices through the organization of two study visits to other EU MS and analysis of further cases;
- Develop context-specific recommendations on the basis of analysis and workshops.
Support from the Commission is delivering the following results:
- The development of a monitoring and evaluation framework for climate and energy policies, actions, strategies at national-level, meaning a strategic approach that institutionalizes the responsibilities and roles in analysing climate and energy policy;
- An improvement of the capacity of Government officials and environmental engineers concerning EIAs with a focus on climate change impact and adaptation.