Supporting the transformation of the Slovak economy by increasing its innovation performance
The Commission supported the national authorities in their efforts to update the Slovak Smart Specialisation Strategy 2021-2027 in close collaboration with stakeholders at national level.
The preparation of an updated Smart Specialisation Strategy of the Slovak Republic for 2021-2027 (RIS3 SK 2021+) is a requirement for the next programming period 2021-2027 of EU funds. The upgraded RIS3 SK 2021+ must ensure that research, development and innovation is centered around the key challenges for Slovakia:
- digital transformation (Industry 4.0)
- transition to an environmental and energy-efficient economy
- development of Slovak regions, including in the area of agriculture
The support measures consisted of:
- Carrying out an analysis of the Slovak research, development, and innovation ecosystem and its bottlenecks, including in the area of digitalisation, automation, and robotics
- Formulating recommendations for measures to improve the national and regional research and innovation ecosystems, to remove obstacles to innovation diffusion and to manage the industrial transformation
- Updating the methodology for identification of Smart Specialisation Domains and the methodology for an effective stakeholder consultation
- Drafting of the Smart Specialisation Strategy of Slovakia for the period 2021 - 2027 (RIS3 SK 2021+)
The support from the Commission helped to prepare a Smart Specialisation Strategy for the period 2021 - 2027 and fulfil a requirement under the EU cohesion policy.
Implementation of the strategy will have a positive impact on the transformation of the Slovak economy to move towards a more knowledge-based, environmental and energy-efficient economy.