- Funding Programme
- Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP)
Strengthening the energy efficiency and renewables framework in Greece
for the Ministry of Environment and Energy
The Commission supported national authorities in their efforts to improve the country’s framework for energy efficiency and renewables and to meet the national targets for 2020.
The Ministry sought to promote energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy, in order to achieve the country’s potential in both areas. This required full implementation of relevant national and EU legislation, as well as improvements in the existing regulatory framework.
The Commission mobilised experts from the German development agency, GIZ, who were based at the Ministry for a period of 22 months.
The support measures consisted of:
- identifying barriers to investment, market integration of renewables, financing of energy efficiency, etc.;
- benchmarking against EU best practices;
- providing tailor-made recommendations for changes in the national regulatory frameworks; and
- targeted training for energy managers and other stakeholders.
The Commission support delivered the following results:
- a new market-based support scheme to incentivise use of renewable energy;
- a new energy efficiency obligation scheme; and
- a new energy audit scheme.
And had the following impact:
- a more robust energy efficiency and renewables framework; and
- new competences for public energy managers and other stakeholders in the field of energy efficiency and renewables.