- Funding Programme
- Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP)
Policy and strategy development in the field of Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs)
The Commission supported the Irish Development Agency (IDA Ireland) in enhancing its capacity to formulate, develop and implement reform policies and strategies and also in defining and implementing appropriate processes and methodologies in the field of Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs).
A favourable environment was required to contribute towards Ireland building a competitive position in the ATMP value chain and leading to the relation of growth and jobs.
The Commission provided support over a 9-month period in the form of technical advisory services by entities with substantial experience in process control in pharma and biopharma manufacturing; in SME scale-up and development of industry led research initiatives; in ATMP and biopharma policy development issues; and in Biopharmaceutical Quality & Regulatory Affairs.
The support measures consisted of:
- Identification and analysis of a set of successful actions taken by these countries to reach a leading position;
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) analysis on the opportunities and challenges for knowledge transfer actions;
- Stakeholders’ consultations;
- Formulating recommendations; and
- Developing an action plan to improve the competitive edge of the Irish firms.
The IDA formally adopted the recommendations and the actions plan after the completion of the project. At the completion of the project, the IDA established two forums on the digital opportunity and the Manufacturing Research & Skills (skills, education, research, clinical).
The support helped the IDA in ensuring significant engagement and peripheral ecosystem engagement with both forums in 2019 and IDA progressed on the opportunities identified in the consultation to the next level of granularity with a view to bolstering the Irish value proposition and winning associated investment. IDA also took substantial steps in establishing the National Coordination Forum in ATMPs.