- Funding Programme
- Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP)
Supporting reforms to enhance the reception conditions for asylum seekers in Greece
for the Ministry of Migration and Asylum
The European Commission is supporting the establishment of a permanent reception system for vulnerable asylum seekers, entirely managed by the state, with standards in line with the EU acquis.
Moreover, the Commission supports national authorities with reinforcing their institutional and operational capacity to provide appropriate reception conditions and services to vulnerable asylum seekers
Greece is gradually building a state-run reception system. The authorities responsible for the reception and services for newly arrived asylum seekers requested technical support to complete this transformation.
The support provided in cooperation with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees aims at:
- assessing gaps and best practices on which to build an action plan;
- developing a regulatory and legislative framework as well as harmonising, systemising and monitoring reception conditions; and
- training officials.
The Commission achieved the following results:
- Improved reception conditions and procedures;
- Establishment of a sustainable system for accommodation and provision of recommendations on cash assistance
- Enhanced accommodation, services and assistance for asylum seekers.
Project in the spotlight
Watch the video below to discover more about the project.