Awareness campaign strategy to reduce the shadow economy in Lithuania
for the Lithuanian government and the State Tax Inspection (STI)
The Commission supported national authorities in their fight against tax evasion and the shadow economy by designing a comprehensive communication campaign strategy and the necessary elements to help the government implement it.
The Lithuanian authorities sought to organise an awareness-raising campaign to reduce the shadow economy in Lithuania. This would accompany the launch of the planned tax reform. The objective was to provide them with a communication strategy, including all the elements needed to favour ownership and support the implementation team in Lithuania.
Support to be delivered
The support provided tailored expertise and consultancy over 9 months.
It consisted of:
- research and preparatory analysis of the national context in which the campaign would take place, to set the scene and to define the most customised and relevant strategic approach;
- development of a comprehensive and tailormade communication strategy; and
- support for the implementation (training and hotline) and monitoring (key performance indicators).
Support from the Commission delivered the following results:
- a fully-fledged awareness strategy (campaign and videos launched immediately) with effective budget and monitoring tools.
And had the following impact:
- strengthened the capacity of the Lithuanian authorities to develop key awareness actions and identify their possible impact on taxpayer compliance.