- Funding Programme
- Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP)
Modernising the assessment of tax returns in Austria
The Commission is supporting the Federal Ministry of Finance to modernise and digitalise the system of tax filing in Austria. By developing a new IT system for the authorities, the project will allow for automated self-assessment of tax returns and thus, reduce the number of checks necessary by tax officials.
The Austrian Federal Ministry of Finance is seeking to establish a new IT system in order to strengthen risk management at submission of tax returns. With the implementation of an automated self-assessment, the project will reduce the administrative burden and simplify the processes related to tax assessment for both taxpayers and tax administration.
The Commission and international experts provided the following support measures, which paved the way for the development of a new IT system:
- Analysis of the current AS-IS situation, business processes, IT support and the legal framework regarding tax returns;
- Collection of best practices in other Member States;
- Development of desired future TO-BE situation and technical specifications for risk analysis;
- Project planning of IT development and implementation of TO-BE situation.
Commission’s technical support will reduce the administrative burden for both tax authorities and taxpayers. The new IT solution will contribute to the automation and streamlining of processes for assessing tax returns. As a result, the quality of risk analysis will increase and this will also accelerate the process of issuing legally binding tax decisions.