Supporting Quality of Public Administration in the European Union Member States Online Conference - 25 November 2021
Public administration translates the long-term objectives of making Europe climate-neutral, sustainable, and ready for the next digital decadeinto reforms, investments, programmes, and services. They implement directly and indirectly the unprecedented EU budget of EUR 1.8 trillion to achieve the EU’s objectives.
Five major trends will influence this process: rapid technological change; demographic changes and skills shortages; the complexity of managing inter-related policy issues; the green transition; and the strain on limited public funds. Public administrations cannot afford to fail in this adaptation as they promote collective interests and ensure the overall wellbeing of society. Given the COVID-19 pandemic and other pressing global issues, the current moment presents profound challenges but also unique opportunities for administrations.
In a recent publication, the European Commission outlined the wide portfolio of policies, financial, and non-financial instruments it manages with a view to encourage and support the efforts of Member States to improve the quality and capacity of their public administrations. The Commission aims to reinforce these efforts.
The conference built on previous discussions on how to support administrative improvement, promote mutual learning, and transfer related experience across the EU. It also brought stronger political attention to systemic issues and explore:
- How can the Commission and the Member States better steer the change of public administrations in the EU, and support building more effective, accountable, inclusive and resilient institutions?
- How can public administrations learn better from each other, how can use lessons learned from the pandemic and climate-related natural disasters and promote successful practices?
It identified specific actions that could be undertaken in the short term to improve change processes and their uptake.
The event brought together high-level public officials and practitioners from the EU institutions and the EU Member States, leading academics, think tanks, and international organisations.
09:00 - 9:15 CET
09:15 - 11:15 CET
Session: Steering change in public administrations
11:15 - 12:30 CET
European Commission Support on Public Administration
14:00 - 14:50 CET
Session: Towards a European Administrative Space?
14:50 - 15:50 CET
15:50 - 16:50 CET
Feedback and conclusion
16:50 - 17:00 CET
Follow the event online
Watch the event recordings.
On 25 November – from 09.00 to 12.30
You can also follow the event commentary on Twitter @EU_reforms
Please contact the organizers of the conference at REFORM-CONFERENCE-PA@ec.europa.eu if you experience any issues.
- Public Administration and Governance policy making
- Document - Supporting public administrations in EU Member States to deliver reforms and prepare for the future
- European public administration country reports
- European public administration thematic studies
- Technical Support Instrument (TSI)
- Technical Support Instrument: 2021 country factsheets
- Technical Support Instrument: 2022 country factsheets
- DG Reform website