- Funding Programme
- Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP)
Supporting the transformation of the Slovak economy by increasing its innovation performance
The Commission supported the national authorities in their efforts to update the Slovak Smart Specialisation Strategy 2021-2027 in close collaboration with stakeholders at national level.
The preparation of an updated Smart Specialisation Strategy of the Slovak Republic for 2021-2027 (RIS3 SK 2021+) is a requirement for the next programming period 2021-2027 of EU funds. The upgraded RIS3 SK 2021+ must ensure that research, development and innovation is centered around the key challenges for Slovakia:
- Digital transformation (Industry 4.0)
- Transition to an environmental and energy-efficient economy
- Development of Slovak regions, including in the area of agriculture
The support measures consisted of:
- Carrying out an analysis of the Slovak research, development, and innovation ecosystem and its bottlenecks, including in the area of digitalisation, automation and robotics
- Formulating recommendations for measures to improve the national and regional research and innovation ecosystems, to remove obstacles to innovation diffusion and to manage the industrial transformation
- Updating the methodology for identification of Smart Specialisation Domains and the methodology for an effective stakeholder consultation
- Drafting of the Smart Specialisation Strategy of Slovakia for the period 2021 - 2027 (RIS3 SK 2021+)
The support from the Commission helped to prepare a Smart Specialisation Strategy for the period 2021 - 2027 and fulfil a requirement under the EU cohesion policy.
Implementation of the strategy will have a positive impact on the transformation of the Slovak economy to move towards a more knowledge-based, environmental and energy-efficient economy.