Protecting consumers and enhancing financial literacy
This project aimed to protect consumers and enhance financial literacy in Italy through financial education programmes. This was done by making the national online financial education portal more dynamic and interactive in areas that have a large impact on people’s personal finance, such as insurance and pensions. The website can now serve as a point of reference for every Italian who has to make informed decisions affecting his or her personal financial situation.
Italy faced challenges in the field of financial literacy. Financial knowledge is limited, existing education initiatives were on a small scale and did not reach important parts of the population. Italy created a national Committee in 2017, whose task was to promote and coordinate financial education programmes linked to financial decisions of every-day’s life, such as personal finances management or pension planning. As an important part of the plan for implementing the national strategy for financial literacy, the Committee created an online portal for financial education, which can provide a simple yet authoritative source of financial information. In order to be better equipped to assist people in making difficult financial decisions, the website needed a comprehensive upgrade.
Funded by the European Commission, over the course of 20 months, a range of educational toolkits and tutorials were provided to the Committee, such as a self-assessment quiz, an online tool for organising household finances, interactive games for school pupils, video tutorials and web series. These digital products were designed with an eye on strong integration with the online portal, clarity of the messages for reaching an audience as large as possible as well as a user-centred approach.
The project delivered a wide range of innovative and interactive digital ‘edutainment’ and ‘infotainment’ products and approaches for the website to foster curiosity and make fundamental financial concepts more accessible for citizens who are not necessarily knowledgeable on these topics, allowing them to make better financial decisions.
Project in the spotlight
For more information about the project and its output, please consult the Comitato EduFin website:
- Episodio 1 - Primi soldi, che fare?
- Episodio 2 – Il sapere che conta per gestire i conti di tutti i giorni!
- Episodio 3 - Finalmente un lavoro! A cosa destinare il reddito?
- Episodio 4 – Il sapere che conta per investire i propri soldi
- Episodio 5 - Acquisto della casa: come finanziarlo e proteggerlo?
- Episodio 6 – Il sapere che conta per affrontare gli imprevisti
- Episodio 7 - Una nuova famiglia, le scelte da fare in due
- Episodio 8 – Il sapere che conta per pianificare la pensione e la terza età
- Episodio 9 - L’arrivo dei figli. Come costruire il loro futuro?
- Episodio 10 – Il sapere che conta per comprare beni e servizi importanti
- Episodio 11 - Pensione, come garantirsi il miglior tenore di vita?