Independent analysis of the Prosecutor's Office in Bulgaria
for the Ministry of Justice and the Public Prosecutor's Office
The Commission provided technical support to the national authorities by carrying out an independent analysis of the structure and independence of the Public Prosecutor's Office.
The Bulgarian authorities sought to perform an analysis of the structure and independence of the Public Prosecutor's Office. The objective was to contribute to the implementation of a Strategy for Judicial Reform.
The Commission coordinated a team of five prosecutors from Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK (2), who delivered technical support over a period of 9months.
The support measures consisted of:
- drafting recommendations to implement European standards; and
- analysing human resource management, efficiency, independence and accountability of the Public Prosecutor's Office.
Support from the Commission delivered the following results:
- more than 60 precise and concrete recommendations to support the authorities in implementing European standards; and
- analysis of the independence and efficiency of the Public Prosecutor's Office.
And had the following impact:
- in response to the recommendations prepared through the Commission support by the experts, in July 2017, the national authorities set out a joint roadmap covering both organisational and potential legislative measures.