- Funding Programme
- Technical Support Instrument (TSI)
Strengthening the change management process of executives
The Commission will support the Italian Ministry of Economy and Finance in its efforts to achieve a more efficient, agile and innovative public administration by evaluating competencies, analysing management processes, and providing recommendations for improvements and strategic capacity building.
The topic is particularly relevant and timely, as Italy looks forward to an ambitious Plan for Recovery and Resilience (RRP) that will depend on the effective leadership and management within the public administration. The deployment of the Italian RRP will depend on several features that concern and engage the public administration to manage increases in public investments, improve the delivery of public services, and strengthen the resilience of the country in the face of natural disaster and external shocks. To achieve these objectives, it is fundamental to have an effective public administration, equipped with attitudes and competences that are focused on results, impact and effectiveness.
The technical support will provide the Ministry of Economy and Finance, and in particular the Department of General Affairs, with:
- a stocktaking report on the current state of management and leadership;
- a leadership competency model for senior executive management, and a toolkit to apply it;
- a report with options on the redesign of the management processes at MEF to improve efficiency, effectiveness and agility;
- an action plan to scale up the results of the pilot project to the Italian Public Administration.
The technical support is expected to improve the managerial competencies and skills related to change management and agile leadership and the use of agile management tools and processes for the performance management and recruitment of senior executives. The expected long-term effect of this project is to contribute to a more efficient, digital and innovative public administration by developing more agile management processes and leadership competencies.