Enhancing tax collection in Latvia
for the Ministry of Finance and the State Revenue Service
The Commission is supporting the Latvian authorities in their efforts to reduce the tax gap and to enhance public revenues.
The Ministry of Finance and the State Revenue Service aim to reduce the prevalence of tax fraud and to increase public revenues. This requires an improvement in administrative capacity and the adoption of a structured and risk-based approach to tax evasion.
The Commission, in cooperation with the World Bank, is providing support over a 3-year period to:
- identify areas at high risk of fraud;
- train and empower the audit service; and
- develop a comprehensive compliance strategy.
Support from the Commission, in cooperation with the World Bank, delivered the following results:
- reduced the size of the informal economy in Latvia;
- improved taxpayer compliance; and
- increase public revenues by 4% in real terms over 3 years.