The Technical Support Instrument (TSI) is the EU programme that provides tailor-made technical expertise to EU Member States to design and to implement reforms at the national level, with an emphasis on the green and digital transitions. The TSI also supports the preparation and implementation of Recovery and Resilience Plans.
Initiated in 2021, the TSI is the successor of the Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP). Since 2017, both programmes have helped design, develop and implement over 1500 reform projects in 27 Member States.
COMPLETED AND ONGOING REFORM PROJECTS IN BULGARIA
Reform projects approved under the Technical Support Instrument
The Technical Support Instrument yearly cycle is launched during the dedicated TSI Annual Conference. In May 2022, High-Level representatives from the European Commission, Member States and other Institutions gathered to share their perspectives on how the TSI 2023 could support Member States for the successful design and implementation of resilience-enhancing reforms, and in particular in the context of the recent crises (COVID-19 pandemic, Russian invasion of Ukraine).
The conference also started the discussion with Member States on potential multi-country projects - geared at addressing common issues among Member States thereby emphasizing the EU added-value of the instrument - and presented a set of "Flagship" projects - supporting reforms which are largely needed across Member States and are in line with the EU priorities.
For 2023, the Commission approved the following 13 reform support projects for Bulgaria:
- Optimising processes and services at the National Employment Agency of Bulgaria
- Strengthening the Strategic Approach and Innovation in the Civil Service in Bulgaria
- Enhancing the capabilities for risk-based AML supervision and financial intelligence in Bulgaria
- Creation and implementation of regulatory mechanisms for the natural gas market in Bulgaria
- Supporting the implementation of efficient insolvency procedures in Bulgaria
- Strategy for the development of entrepreneurship, innovation and digitization in Stara Zagora and a roadmap for its implementation
- PACE - Civil service mobility
- EU Supervisory Digital Finance Academy
- Enhance strategic tax administration reforms through Tax Administration Diagnostic Assessment Tool in Bulgaria
- ESG risk management framework for the financial sector
- Proof of concept of AI models in market abuse monitoring
- EU Survey of Central Government Public Servants: Strengthening Evidence-based People Management Policies and Reforms
- Communicating the benefits of the recovery and resilience plans to the general public
In 2022, the Commission approved 7 reform projects for Bulgaria:
- Developing fiscal decentralization and improving local financial management
- Enhance tax compliance by Implementation of Standard Audit File in Bulgaria
- Strategic Development of the Commission for Anti-Corruption and Illegal Assets Forfeiture and Improvement of Tools for Prevention and Counteraction of Corruption
- Establishing balanced distribution of the workload in the judiciary system
- Technical assistance for the elaboration of a National Skills Strategy of the Republic of Bulgaria (Skills Strategy BG)
- Strengthening the capacity to implement the National Strategy for Financial Literacy
Support to REPowerEU
More information can be found in the 2022 Country Factsheets.
In 2021, the Commission approved the following 8 reform projects for Bulgaria:
- Reforming the integrity checks of the employees of the Commission for Anti-Corruption and Illegal Assets Forfeiture
- Establishment of the National Decarbonisation Fund
- Improving public investment efficiency and effectiveness
- Increasing the network and information security in the Bulgarian Revenue Agency
- Development and implementation of a Corruption Risk Assessment Methodology at the National Revenue Agency
- Strengthening the compliance management by assessing external context and taxpayers’ behaviour
- Monitoring Cooperative Compliance Model within Bulgarian Revenue Agency
- General technical support for the implementation of Bulgaria's Recovery and Resilience Plan
More information can be found in the 2021 Country Factsheets.
Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP) projects (2017-2020)
The TSI expands on the experience of the SRSP programme in building capacity in Member States. You can find the full list of SRSP projects here.
2020 - Strengthening the Disability System in Bulgaria
Through this project, the European Commission supported the Bulgarian Ministry of Labour and Social Policy in enhancing its disability system.
2019 - Overall reform of the administrative penalties proceedings
The Commission has provided technical support to the Government of Bulgaria to address the challenges of the legal framework of the administrative penalty proceedings.
2018 - Independent analysis of the Prosecutor's Office in Bulgaria
The Commission provided technical support to the national authorities by carrying out an independent analysis of the structure and independence of the Public Prosecutor's Office.
Want to find out more?
You can easily search projects from all Member States through the interactive map and learn more about reform projects.