The Technical Support Instrument (TSI) is the EU programme that provides tailor-made technical expertise to EU Member States to design and to implement reforms at the national level, with an emphasis on the green and digital transitions. The TSI also supports the preparation and implementation of Recovery and Resilience Plans.
Initiated in 2021, the TSI is the successor of the Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP). Since 2017, both programmes have helped design, develop and implement over 1500 reform projects in 27 Member States.
COMPLETED AND ONGOING REFORM PROJECTS IN ROMANIA
Reform projects approved under the Technical Support Instrument
The Technical Support Instrument yearly cycle is launched during the dedicated TSI Annual Conference. In May 2022, High-Level representatives from the European Commission, Member States and other Institutions gathered to share their perspectives on how the TSI 2023 could support Member States for the successful design and implementation of resilience-enhancing reforms, and in particular in the context of the recent crises (COVID-19 pandemic, Russian invasion of Ukraine).
The conference also started the discussion with Member States on potential multi-country projects - geared at addressing common issues among Member States thereby emphasizing the EU added-value of the instrument - and presented a set of "Flagship" projects - supporting reforms which are largely needed across Member States and are in line with the EU priorities.
For 2023, the Commission approved the following 14 reform support projects for Romania:
- Professionalisation of public procurement personal - fostering strategic methodologies, integrity and transparency
- Strengthening the capacity of the Public Ministry for investigating IP infringements
- Interventions to reduce poverty and increase equity through the use of integrated community services, sustainable partnerships and local community strengthening
- Implementing Romania's renewable energy support scheme
- Improving the business environment by implementing a streamlined licensing reform
- Technical Support for the Romanian authorities to implement the eID Investment under RRP
- PACE - Civil service mobility
- PACE -Cooperation exchange between Romania and other MS in key areas of interest
- EU Supervisory Digital Finance Academy
- Enhance strategic tax administration reforms through Tax Administration Diagnostic Assessment Tool in Romania
- ESG risk management framework for the financial sector
- Mapping competencies of national authorities in the area of implementation of EU restrictive measures. Best practices and legislative recommendations
- Proof of concept of AI models in market abuse monitoring
- Communicating the benefits of the recovery and resilience plans to the general public
In 2022, the Commission approved 12 reform projects for Romania:
- Increasing the efficiency of the fiscal control activity in Romania
- Strengthening the macroeconomic analysis and forecasting capacities in Romania
- Technical support for the implementation of the Romanian Court of Accounts strategies
- Romania Digital skills for health and care systems
- Strengthening the management of the Romanian education system, by developing and implementing an efficient local and regional governance model in the pre-tertiary education system and enhancing the equity of the education system in Romania
- Technical support for setting up and operationalise a corporate governance mechanism at the Centre of the Government
- Elaboration of the Romanian National Hydrogen Strategy
- TSI 2022 Flagship technical Support project on welcoming and “Integration of Third Country Nationals in Member States” – Dedicated in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine
- EU Supervisory Digital Finance Academy - ASF
- Gender mainstreaming in public policy and budget processes
- Implementation of Sustainable Finance Framework in Romania
- Support to REPowerEU
More information can be found in the 2022 Country Factsheets.
In 2021, the Commission approved the following 16 reform projects for Romania:
- Technical support for the development of the Circular Economy Strategy and establishing a monitoring mechanism
- Measures to support the efficiency of the Romanian public procurement system with focus on the remedies and appeals regulations
- Monitoring and implementing the policies and measures of the National Energy and Climate Plan 2021-2030
- Support for addressing the needs of vulnerable groups living in informal settlements
- Strengthening the economic regulation of the solid waste sector
- Digital Transformation Process of the public administration in Romania
- Developing strategic planning and innovation services at regional level
- Strengthening the consistency of transfer pricing audits approaches and improvement of tax legislation in Romania
- Implementation of new approaches and tools for improving tax compliance of large taxpayers in Romania
- Supporting interoperability of the EU IT systems in the law enforcement sector
- Addressing the challenges related to provisional valuation in resolution
- Climate risk assessment support for the National Bank of Romania
- Enhancing policy coherence, transparency and coordination at the Center of the Government in Romania
- Intergovernmental transfers from the state budget to local budgets
- Guidance on the introduction of PPP in Romania
- Support to the operationalization of the Recovery and Resilience Plan of Romania
More information can be found in the 2021 Country Factsheets.
Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP) projects (2017-2020)
The TSI expands on the experience of the SRSP programme in building capacity in Member States. You can find the full list of SRSP projects here.
2022 - Strengthening the management of the Romanian education system
The Commission will help modernise and raise the quality of education provided by the public administration, in line with the strategic national document Educated Romania.
2020 - Fighting money laundering and terrorist financing in Romania
The Commission helped the Romanian authorities to better understand internal and external money laundering and terrorist financing threats.
2019 - Strategy for the economic and social development of the Jiu Valley, a coal region in transition in Romania
The Commission supported the elaboration of a strategy for economic and social development of the Jiu Valley, a region historically dependent on coal, in Romania.
Want to find out more?
You can easily search projects from all Member States through the interactive map and learn more about reform projects.
Local presence in Romania
Local presence is ensured through an office in the country. For more information, contact DG Reform: