The Technical Support Instrument (TSI) is the EU programme that provides tailor-made technical expertise to EU Member States to design and to implement reforms at the national level, with an emphasis on the green and digital transitions. The TSI also supports the preparation and implementation of Recovery and Resilience Plans.
Initiated in 2021, the TSI is the successor of the Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP). Since 2017, both programmes have helped design, develop and implement over 1500 reform projects in 27 Member States.
COMPLETED AND ONGOING REFORM PROJECTS IN GREECE
Reform projects approved under the Technical Support Instrument
The Technical Support Instrument yearly cycle is launched during the dedicated TSI Annual Conference. In May 2022, High-Level representatives from the European Commission, Member States and other Institutions gathered to share their perspectives on how the TSI 2023 could support Member States for the successful design and implementation of resilience-enhancing reforms, and in particular in the context of the recent crises (COVID-19 pandemic, Russian invasion of Ukraine).
The conference also started the discussion with Member States on potential multi-country projects - geared at addressing common issues among Member States thereby emphasizing the EU added-value of the instrument - and presented a set of "Flagship" projects - supporting reforms which are largely needed across Member States and are in line with the EU priorities.
For 2023, the Commission approved the following 19 reform support projects for Greece:
- Institutionalizing Behavioral Science for Policy Making to Improve Reform Efforts in Greece
- Task Force against disinformation
- Towards person-centered integrated care
- Driving transformational change of the EKDDA
- Implementation Study, Design, and Deployment of project finance capabilities with an emphasis on sustainable infrastructure for the Hellenic Development Bank (HDB)
- Implementation of the BIM Roadmap in Greece, including pilot projects.
- Capacity building on advanced data-driven approaches and tools for risk assessment and tax audits Greece
- Professionalisation of public procurement personal - fostering strategic methodologies, integrity and transparency
- PACE - Civil service mobility
- PACE - Modernisation of the human resources management model
- Enhance strategic tax administration reforms through Tax Administration Diagnostic Assessment Tool in Greece
- ESG risk management framework for the financial sector
- Industrial ecosystems
- Strengthening the capacity of Independent Fiscal Institutions (IFIs)
- Improve the quality of multi-level governance and strengthening the resilience of island economies of Croatia, Greece and Sweden
- Industrial ecosystems
- Proof of concept of AI models in market abuse monitoring
- Measuring Citizen’s Satisfaction with Key Government Services for Better Performance and Enhanced Trust
- Developing in-house capacity for Latvia and other Member States
In 2022, the Commission approved 19 reform projects for Greece:
- Development of a National Strategy for Quality Assurance, Patient safety and Patient Engagement in Healthcare Services Provision
- Capacity building to the Ministry for Climate Crisis and Civil Protection: Coordinating Emergency preparedness, response and Climate Change adaptation actions
- Facilitate the deployment of the next generation of digital Public Services for citizens and businesses
- Upgrading property valuation system in rural areas
- Bridging the climate financing gap with public policy instruments
- Greening taxes – applying the polluter pays principle in practice
- Support to the Implementation of the Just Transition
- Regional and local authorities – Enhancing cooperation & Quality of public administration- Improve coordination and quality in the regulatory cycle by introducing forward looking, effective legislative practices
- Implementation of the European Child Guarantee
- Support to Greece's tourism ecosystem: towards a more sustainable, resilient and digital tourism
- Recharge and Refuel - Clean, smart and fair urban mobility
- Implementation of the European Child Guarantee - Promoting Inclusive Education in Greece Phase II
- Support on the implementation of a national skills framework for learning pathways
- EU Supervisory Digital Finance Academy - Bank of Greece
- EU Supervisory Digital Finance Academy - HCMC
- Gender mainstreaming in public policy and budget processes
- Technical support for the establishment of a permanent procedure for integration of third country nationals through the labor market
- Support to REPowerEU
- Building capacity for evidence-informed policymaking in governance and public administration in a post-pandemic Europe
More information can be found in the 2022 Country Factsheets.
In 2021, the Commission approved the following 21 reform projects for Greece:
- Insurance supervision of conduct and product risks
- Acceleration of the Greek digital transformation
- Business Process Improvement for Greek Customs
- Modernising the legal framework of the Public Investment Programme
- Reform of the Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) framework for children with disability
- Reform of Occupational Pensions
- Supporting the Human Resource Management of Public Sector and the Digital transformation of the Supreme Council for Civil Personnel Selection
- Support to the design of a national framework for quality assurance of non-formal education and the assessment and validation of prior learning
- Reform of the regional ports governance system
- National Financial Literacy Strategy for Greece
- Technical support for the reform of the Hellenic Ministry for Foreign Affairs
- The Greek social welfare benefits organization
- Reform of the unemployment benefit system in Greece
- Design and deployment for the growth and transformation strategy of the Greek industry
- Greek state aid modernisation - Strengthening the institutional setup for state aid control in Greece
- Implementation of clean energy investments under the Greek Recovery and Resilience Plan
- Enhancing Greece's Reception and Identification Service capacity for emergency preparedness
- Deployment of a Strategic Plan and Roadmap for the Implementation of Building Information Modelling (BIM) in Greece
- Implementation of the Public Health System Reform
- Post-fire biodiversity and biotic natural capital recovery: Framework development in the case of Evia (Greece)
- General technical support for the implementation of Greece's Recovery and Resilience Plan
More information can be found in the 2021 Country Factsheets.
Structural Reform Support Programme (SRSP) projects (2017-2020)
The TSI expands on the experience of the SRSP programme in building capacity in Member States. You can find the full list of SRSP projects here.
The Commission supported this project aimed at assisting Greece in confronting these challenges by developing strong and coherent methods of resilience.
The Commission supports this flagship project aimed increasing the awareness of policies for promoting Gender Equality across seven Member States, helping administrations to analyse policies and budgeting processes from a gender mainstreaming perspective.